Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thank you, Birch Creek


This was the  staff for the Girls Session this Summer.
This Summer I spent a lot of my time in a little place called Spring City, Utah.  When i say little, i mean puny.  That's right, good ol' Sanpete County.  It was my second year as a counselor at Birch Creek Service Ranch (inspired by the Bennion Ranch) and i loved it all the more.  There is something that happens at Birch Creek, something very special.  I'm not exactly sure what it is, but everyone who has been there knows what i am talking about.
Birch is more than just a summer camp for teens, i've been to plenty of those, Birch Creek is a home.  It is a place to connect--with people, with nature, with God and with yourself.  I miss my BC family.  BC is my sanctuary, my safe place.  
Birch Creek makes me forget the world, it helps me remember to enjoy the simple things in life.  Simplicity.  Thats where all the good stuff is.  A simple sunset, a simple song, a simple game, a simple laugh.  Simple service.  I love how satisfying it is after a mornings work, to know that we spent four hours of our day helping another person.  I love how satisfying it is after a weekends hike when we look down from the top of a mountain or up from the bottom of a canyon, to know that we travelled that great distance in such a short amount of time.  I love how satisfying it is to see the growth in the campers as the weeks gradually pass on.  I love how i feel at Birch Creek!

One of the many beautiful weekend hikes.
I also love BC because of my family.  Uncle Joe, Aunt Lee, and Cousin Zina.  Can anyone ask for better role models?  I mean seriously.  If it weren't for them, i would never have found BC.  They inspire me more and more every time i spend time with them.  Whether at the Ranch or rafting down the Grand Canyon for two weeks (also one of the most amazing experiences of my life), they are always living life at its fullest.

Group shot on edge of the canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment