Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Happiness is a choice.

I have never been so busy in my entire life.  I don't know if that statement is entirely true, but i am pretty dang busy!  For some reason i can't keep up.  I guess i just had forgotten how school really is.  Sucks. Even though in the past week and a half i have taken/am-still-studying-for 5 tests and several quizzes (i thought Finals Week was supposed to be at the end of the semester)...I've found time to be happy.
I have been focusing a lot on the negative things in my life lately.  I THOUGHT that every area in my life was suckee and too overwhelming to deal with.

Isn't it just depressing to think like that? I mean, come on. I know i have so many more blessings in my life.  I feel guilty for being such a baby.  There are so many people that have HUGE trials that still stay optimistic.  I'm going to be optimistic:

For the past few days (even though i am stressed out more than i can handle) a lot of good things have happened.
-I got a mini package from Chris with three letters and pictures in it....i hadn't heard from him since the end of July.
-I got my first letter from mike (one of my best friends/brothers from freshman year) the very next day, with two letters and a picture in it
-I got a good grade on my Calculus 2 Test! miracle.
-I MAY have picked out a major. It isn't final. But i am seriously considering it.
-i like my roommates.
-the Cowboys won (haha)
-I got to go to a devotional here at BYU and listen to Thomas S Monson.  amazing.
-I had an epiphany...what is one bad test score going to mean to me in 10 years??

these are all good things right? Happiness is a choice.  i can choose to be happy.  I can choose to look at all the good things in my life rather than the bad.  By focusing on blessings, its easier to find courage to move on and go forward.  Sure, there will be/are hard things to deal with.  But with prayer and faith i can do those things.  I know i can't do it alone.  That is the biggest blessing, that through hard times i have been able to feel the love of my Savior as he helps carry me along.  Knowing that brings true happiness.

2 comments:

  1. Oh amen girl. Sometime's it's hard to remember to be happy when we don't have that one person beside us to remind us to be so.
    You are awesome!
    lets get together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the subject of 'happiness is a choice' check out this short video -- http://www.ahamoment.com/vote/angy -- about the 'aha moment' of a woman in a very tough situation who made the decision to improve things. If you like it, click and vote for it and her story might be an aha moment tv commercial next year.

    All the best,
    jack@ahamoment.com

    ReplyDelete